Friday, January 16, 2009

Gioiosa Marea to Capo D'Orlando, and the Jazz Trattoria

The Album

12/14 Gioiosa Marea to Capo d'Orlando - 17.02 miles

With a third sunny day in a row and some nice new shoes, I was in the mood to do some exploring in the foothills, so that I could see what Sicily was like away from the coast. The town I chose to visit was called Piraineto, another semi-abandoned hill town with stellar views of the sea, as well as the green farmland further South.

I climbed up to the top, fully explored the cobbled roads, climbed up to the medieval tower and out to the outermost church, and walked down the other side, tumbling down my own forged path in the midst of fragrant lemon groves. Still, this little excursion only served to whet my appetite, and so I decided to reserve at least one or two days for some more inland exploration.

First I had to reach the next major destination, Capo d'Orlando, a beach town, somewhat similar to Gioiosa Marea. Here the day's highlight was a jazz bar / trattoria, where I ate a meal of Sicilian proportions and made friends with the music-loving owners. Since there was no act playing that night, I finished the antipasto course, which consisted of six or seven different places of local delicacies, and hopped on the old upright piano.

My playing was pretty atrocious, but everyone seemed to like it, and throughout the course of the meal I got up to play a few more times, realizing with each piece just how out of practice I had become. Piano is such a jealous instrument; sometimes I am very discouraged by the fact that just a few days or weeks off can cost weeks of recovery time, meaning that suitable playing requires constant upkeep.

Still, no matter how discouraging it is, I find myself always crawling back, tail betwixt legs, and starting from what always feels like scratch. Kind of like a ruthless lover, now that I think about it.

Time to back away from a beloved tangent... We passed around different desserts, filled the carafe from the barrell, talked US politics and history until closing time and beyond, and when it was time to go, they gave me a heavily discounted bill, and wished me a happy continuation of my journey. Looking back, this evening is memorable for me in that something other than my walk, in this case piano and a knowledge of jazz, was what endeared me to these people, and allowed me to see the "inside." Even though I love the attention that my walker's status affords me, it was good to remember that I am not just a one-trick pony. In the end, I think it's safe to say that people are attached to passion, especially when they see someone go to great lengths for that passion. Add the element of passions in common (music, Italy, and so on), mix in an extroverted and warm character such as that found in most Italians, top it off with the possibility of seamlesss, or at least fluid, communication, and you begin to explain how I continue to find myself in such a delicious situation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Patrick, playing the piano, (especially as well as you do), is like riding a bike, something you will never forget, and as you age, will be eternally grateful you have invested the time and kept the interest.
Cheryl