Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cascina di Murlo to Buonconvento - Rainy Day No. 2

9/14 - Cascina di Murlo to Buonconvento - 13.89 miles walked, still in the rain

There was no way around the fact that everything was wet when I woke up the next morning. My tent had help up pretty well, but most of my clothes and rain gear had been wet from the day before, so my tent was damp on the inside as a result.

Going to the bathroom for a coin-operated hot shower, I managed to blow-dry some of my clothes, but really there was no escaping the universal damp of the morning. I folded up my dripping tent and headed off. Since I had to back-track a bit, I got to see my beloved landscape again, and was still just as thankful the second time around.

The rest of the walk was, well, rainy, but I did manage to see some absolutely classical Tuscan villas, complete with cypress-lined entryways and olive tree groves.

When I got to the last stretch of road separating me from a hot shower, the skies opened with the largest downpour yet, full of windy gusts and with limited visibility. I laughed and took a little video, seeing that the heavens wanted one last good shot at me before I escaped for the night.

Twenty minutes later, I had reached my hotel in the town of Buonconvento, in one of the two existing single rooms (the rest were all, get ready, matrimonial suites). I immediately took a long, hot shower, a true luxury, and proceeded to hang every piece of my clothing to dry in the room.

As there was a restaurant downstairs, I didn't leave the building for the rest of the night, choosing instead to hit the sack early. The next day would take me to Montalcino, and I wanted to be ready.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Somehow, the ancient age of the land and civilization, a feeling, are transmitted through modern technology. Good job!
Cheryl