Thursday, July 24, 2008

Generosity - Frazione di Fey to Cuorgne

7/22-7/24
Ceresole to Frazione di Fey - 10.87
Frazione di Fey to Pont Canavese - 13.64
Pont Canavese to Cuorgne (so far)

I am overwhelmed by the generosity that I have received as of late. Ever since my fateful Beethoven realization, I have been extended the following kindnesses:
Pont - Sandwich and a beer from the Padovani
Citta di Chivasso - See separate post below
Ceresole - a car ride by the hotel owner, an after dinner liqeur brewed with thyme, beer, coffee
Noasca - Intricate directions for how to arrive at the free campsite, plus various offers to drive me there
Frazione di Fey - See post below
Pont Canavese - See this same post, below
Cuorgne the 1st - "Hey, kid with the weird poles, where do you come from?" "You're doing what? Here, come have some coffee, my treat."
Cuorgne the 2nd - At the market, I ask, "How much for 3 apricots?" "Take them," the stall owner says.


I'm starting to feel guilty. I will have a lot of generous hosting to do once I have my own place again!

So, I spent my first night so far in a hotel at Pont Canavese. At this point, I'm starting to see a bit of the industrial stuff that one would expect from a town so close to Torino. I mention this specifically since so many people imagined me walking next to nuclear power plants, oil refineries, and the like. I am especially proud of the photo of the crane, with the sign for Pont Canavese on the left edge of the photo. The reason I am proud is that I timed it just right for a passing semi truck to just barely appear on the left edge of the photo. While the blog is a bit thrown around, and the placement of the photos are somewhat random (because of time constraints, not because I don't care, I assure you), the photos are carefully considered. I hope you enjoy them.

I was especially tired and the road was especially unforgiving, so this little luxury was actually welcome for me. I made my way up the hill, a bit outside of town, and the young hotel owner showed me to my room. My own room! I immediately let my backpack explode all over the room, grateful for the privacy and the space.

Dinner was prepared in-house for a few extra euros, and was, as all my meals have been, delicious. There is nothing like receiving two choices for each course, picking blindly or based on suggestion (my new favorite way to fly), and having it work out perfectly. The part that sticks out in my mind about this pleasant meal was the choice of music: 80s hits like Video Killed the Radio Star, Walk Like an Egyptian, and so on. Why, I asked? Because I like 80s music. Of course.

After dinner, I walked in my sandals to get some gelato (for you foodies, I will say that it was Chocolate and Frutti di bosco, a fresh mixture of berries). I specifically mention that I was wearing sandals, which have become a veritable oasis from the desert of pain that is wearing shoes.

This morning, I spoke further with the proprietor of the hotel over a cappucino and a chocolate croissant. A very mature and attractive 22-year old with a lot of responsibilities on her shoulders, it was great to hear her describe her various duties, and at the same time talk about partying, going to discoteche, and so on. She and I became friends, and after I told her my story and talked to her about my travels, I got ready to go. In what, I hesitate to say for fear of jinxing it, has started to become a common occurrence, my bill was suddenly cut in half. Grateful for her generosity and the wonderful conversation, we exchanged information, and I set off on the ol' dusty trail, this time making my way toward Torino.

Which brings me up to the present moment, where I sit in an internet cafe in Cuorgne.
Phew! Hopefully you've read from the bottom up, so that this makes a bit more sense. Regardless, please let me apologize for the lack of pictures. I promise that I have 200 new ones and am absolutely peeing myself with the desire to share them, but I have already been here 3 hours and I have to walk a bit closer to Torino, and find a place to sleep!
Hopefully some of my gigantic smile has found its way onto your faces. I feel as though I were a 5-year-old wrapped in the comfort of a Christmas morning and a gigantic quilt, fresh from the dryer. And yes, I realize that's about the lamest thing you've ever heard, and I still feel the same way!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ciao Patrick!
sono felice che tutto proceda bene, la tua piacevolezza ti farà incontrare di certo il meglio della gente.
mi sarebbe piaciuto percorrere un pò di cammino con te, ti seguirò da qui.
buona fortuna
Marzia