Thursday, December 18, 2008

Velia and Palinuro

Okay, before I get too philosophical, I want to record a few days, and at least finish Campania, so the next time I reach a computer I can get into Calabria. So, we left off after a day of overwhelming generosity, and a short trip into and out of the mountains of this national park.

11/19 - Marina di Ascea to Palinuro - 15.95 miles

My first stop this morning was to the Archaeological dig of Velia, a large city complex dating back as far as the 6th Century BC. Since I had a long walk ahead, I could not linger long, but I spent a good hour wandering around this site, which once held a powerful colony of Greek sailors.















From there, it was a long walk to Palinuro, a picturesque point toward the bottom of the Cilento. The walk was uneventful, and my early evening arrival in the town consisted of finding a hotel, washing some clothes, eating pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans, from which derives "Pasta Fasule")

No comments: