Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Genova to Bogliasco, Bogliasco to Rapallo

8/22 - Genova to Bogliasco - 9.98
8/23 - Bogliasco to Rapallo - 14.93


Bogliasco was just a few miles down the road from the edge of Genova, but since I had started around the center of the city, I didn't make it too far out of town. I headed straight for the campground, which was on a hill with views of the sea.


While setting up my tent, I met Sanne and Ania, from the Netherlands and Poland, who had also just arrived at the campground. They invited me to join them down in the town centre, which was holding a charity festival that evening. We headed down to the central piazza, where we had some pizza and a few bottles of wine, and listened to some local bands. Bogliasco is a small town, so the festival was not spectacular, but it was all the more precious for how local it was. We had a good time hanging out in the piazza a la Italiana, and were among the last to leave and head back up that steep hill to the campground.


After being treated to some breakfast by the girls the next day, I had a late start, and made my way to Rapallo. On the way, I made sure to stop at Recco, which is famous for its focaccia con formaggio. Let's see, how to put this in American terms... this treat is somewhat like the crust of a stuffed crust pizza, though it is served in thin square slices, and the cheese is fresh. The bread is not like normal focaccia, and to be honest, I don't know why they call it that. Anyways, looks like I'm not winning any awards as a food critic.


I took a quick nap on a park bench - yes, I'm that guy - then started a seemlingly endless uphill walk, up winding staircases and alleyways, past Camogli and Ruta. On the way, I treated myself to blackberries and figs, which were ripe and in abundance. These two fruits would become a roadside staple for me over the next few days.


Once on the ridge of the hill that would lead me to Rapallo, I was faced wtih a fork in the road. Should I go left, inland and down the hill, or straight along the same highway that I had taken for much of the road between Savona and here? I chose to go straight, thinking it would be closer to the water, and continued to Rapallo.

On the way, I entered an old church (somewhat of a rarity for me, despite the overwhelming number of churches here), where I saw a 16th century triptych by an unindentified Flemish master painter. I chatted with the priest, who went from suspicious to ambivalent, and gave me a half-hearted blessing as he ushered me out.


Soon afterward, I started the long downhill back to the sea, and by the time I arrived in Rapallo, I discovered that I would have cut about two miles had I turned left before. Oh well, 40 minutes lost, no big deal.

Once I set up my tent, I walked about a mile and a half into town, where I caught a bit of the Miss Italy regional semifinals. After watching for a little while, I started the walk back, stubbing my toe after staring too hard at a cute Italian girl as she talked with her friends. As I walked away amidst their resounding laughter, I couldn't help but smile at myself. Perfect end to a perfect day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful. Patrick, what kind of tree is that?
Cheryl