Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Valle d'Aosta and Piemonte - Food, Flora and Fauna

Okay,

This is a bit of an anachronism, but I finally had the chance to upload all my food, flora and fauna pictures of Valle D'Aosta and Piemonte onto the blog.

I tried to be as descriptive as possible with the food photos.  These two regions boast some of the most wonderful cheeses, beef (all that pasture and corn!), and berries.  The cuisine is a bit heavier, as is the case in most temperate and mountain climates.  In fact, the food you see here is of the lighter variety, as we are in the heat of summer.  Fall and winter showcase a lot more polenta, as well as game, wild birds, and lots of wild boar (there's an obsession with hunting here).  I was a bit early for most fruits and vegetables, though I was able to pick quite a bit of fruit straight from the tree, bush, or vine.

The flora and fauna speak for themselves: anyways, I am completely ignorant of the names of nearly all the flowers, so they will have to go unnamed.

I think you will see that I caught the wildflower season at the perfect time, especially in the Alps. If only I could pass along the smells of some of these flowers, this would be the complete experience.

This is one of my favorite aspects of this trip, and even though I have not spoken about nature and the cuisine as much as I could have, it is everywhere around me, and constantly on my mind.

Stopping to smell the flowers and the focaccia,
Pat




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Patrick: I am at work, in the middle of the night...you're makin' me hungry!
Cheryl