Saturday, November 1, 2008

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

Okay, all, just a quick note before they boot me out of the closing internet cafe.

Without having left the country, simply in stepping over an imaginary line, I have suddenly experienced a pretty intense culture shock.

I have spent time in Southern Italy before, have traveled to a few cities here and there, but walking through has proved far different from anything I could have imagined. I do not wish to generalize for an entire half of the country after only a few days, so I will not go any further on my observations, or attempt to characterize them as universally representative. However, let's just say that we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

So, internet cafes do not exist in even the moderately sized cities, and most of them feature computers that don't even have USB ports. Wow, reading that over makes me feel like a gigantic computer snob, but I guess that's what I am.

Anyways, I finally found one open internet cafe, and spent the little time I had posting the blog posts you see below. I will arrive tomorrow in Napoli, which should have many internet cafes, and will continue to post. I have made a vow to myself to get this thing current before I leave Napoli, so please continue to have patience!

Looking forward to sharing this new world with you, and with great stories ahead,
Pat

No comments: