Monday, November 3, 2008

ROME Part 3

Gaia's Visit

The following weekend, Gaia made the trip all the way down from Milano to visit me as well as her friends and family, so we passed a great night catching up, sharing news, and wandering around Rome together. Gaia took me out to a cool nightspot with her friends, and after a drink or two we headed back to the apartment and stayed up talking until six in the morning. The next day was spent lazing around, meeting up with another of Gaia's friends, and doing some more walking. Since her father was coming to town, it was time for me to say goodbye to the little Trastevere apartment, but not yet to Rome. I gave Gaia a hug, waved goodbye to the apartment, then caught the bus to Greg's place.

The Last Hurrah(s)
Greg spared no time when I reached his apartment - within fifteen minutes we were off to a party at Sabrina's friend's house. The birthday party involved lots of food and chatting, and even some singing and dancing. Greg and I stayed until three, then heard the next day that the party went until nine. The next day, Saturday, it was our turn: Greg threw a rager in his small one bedroom pad. We planned all day, did the big food run at the Italian version of Costco (think much, much smaller), cut up various hors d'oeuvres, and soon the party goers started to show up.

I met dozens of people, saw some familiar faces, made lots of friendships and future connections, and as we danced until six AM while Greg spun records on his full DJ kit, I thanked my lucky stars for having this great scene fall into my lap. The best part? Nobody was drunk. We formed a train, that went into the hallways of the apartment, danced disco and soul and techno, partied all night, and all anyone had to drink was a few glasses of wine, tempered by lots and lots of food.

No comments: