Monday, November 10, 2008

Reaching the Penisola Sorrentina

11/5 - Tre Case to Seiano

The train ride was a bit longer this time around, but I spent it chatting with a couple from St. Martin living in Utrecht, Holland. They were on their way to Pompei, and it was interesting to hear their take on the Amalfi Coast. You could see by looking in their eyes that the water where they come from is infinitely more beautiful to them, but they were very diplomatic. We talked a bit about the election results, which piqued the interest of the 80-something year old Italian man seated next to us, who had stayed up all night for the results, and was nearly dancing a jig for joy. I will wrap up all talk of US politics (I hope) by saying that the vast majority of Italians share his sentiments. I refuse to give any clue as to my own affiliations (I'm the It's Pat of politics, and like it that way). After quickly exchanging info with the Lakes, I descended at Tre Case, and resumed my walk. Again, this was not a pretty area, and it was a bit rainy to boot, but I was going to reach that magical peninsula today, and was excited enough not to mind. I am not sure exactly where I reached 1000 miles, but am pretty sure it was near a railroad track in the rain.

To celebrate, I had a sandwich (woop woop! raise the roof!), but it was not just any sandwich. Popping into a shop, I found myself elbow to elbow with a bunch of hard-looking dock workers on lunch break. I asked a swarthy looking Moe what was good, and ordered what he did: a sandwich with toasted bread much like french bread, with grilled sausage, an eggplant-mushroom-tomato goop, and fried zucchini. They threw it in the wood fired oven, I smiled at the guy who helped me and he actually smiled back without tearing out my trachea (I keep just barely making it out alive, eh?), and soon I was in lunchtime paradise. The last hot lunch I had was in Gaia's apartment in Rome, so I cherished the moment. I wish I had a picture of this sandwich, but there was no way I was going to take out my camera, not here. In fact, don't be upset if you never see another food picture from me from here on out: it's just plain stupid to flash valuables unnecessarily in places where I am the only stranger.

Happy with my 1000 mile celebratory lunch, I kept moving, and sooner or later I had made it to Vico Equense, the first big(ish) city the Sorrentine Peninsula, which is the name of the opposite coast from the famous Amalfi Coast. Stopping again with the sunset, I took what was now a very long train back to Napoli, returned to my old pal at the Internet cafe, had a pizza and a peperonata with a large beer, and prepared to leave Napoli.

No comments: