Monday, November 10, 2008

Leaving Napoli, but only for the day

11/4 - Napoli to Tre Case

After the tough time I had finding cheap lodging in this part of the country, I decided to try a different approach: leaving the backpack at the hostel, traveling by bus/metro/train to my starting point, walking, and returning by public transport.

So, getting off the metro at the train station, I started walking away from Napoli, onto the stretch of coast bordering Vesuvius. Things got dicey once more, first through an industrial area and then through a tough part of town, but my disposition had changed, and I walked through it all with no fear in my heart. Of course, it helped not to have that big red target on my back, and I relished my inconspicuous presence as I flitted down side streets. Things were back to the way I liked them, with me looking and wondering at the locals and not vice versa.

I reached Herculaneum, the other famous victim of Vesuvius, and peeked down into the ancient city, choosing not to enter, as 11€ was not worth an hour or two, and I had more distance to cover. After paying 1€ to be alone at the last archaeological site (which was not too shabby, I might add), entering Herculaneum with gaggles of tourists for that price was too big a pill to swallow. Anyways, I had already seen it, and am sure I will see it again. Actually, I had this twilight zone moment of seeing myself with the wifey and children, and could hear myself saying "now the last time I was here..." as they all rolled their eyes. Scary...

Stopping around sunset, I hopped back on the convenient train to Napoli, and spent another large amount of time at the internet cafe. Then, as if to rub it into myself how comfortable I was feeling here, I had a kebab in the kebab place where 20 or so immigrants (of the so-called dangerous varieties) were drinking and watching a soccer match. Mouth of the lion, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Patrick, what a great idea, using transport in a populated area to quickly get to the 'good' parts.
Cheryl